Sunday, June 26, 2011

Why I Read - Bookish Thoughts

Reading is something that has always been a natural thing for me. I can't remember exactly when I first started reading or which was my first book read book. And I don't have a book that really got me into reading. I've always loved reading and have been an avid reader for as long as I can remember.

I've never really given much thought to why I read. It's always just been something that I do. But after I got introduced to the amazing minds of book bloggers, I've started thinking about why I enjoy reading that much.


On my birthday I was on the phone with my grandma. She reads a lot as well, and because she'd sent me one of her favorite books as a birthday present, we got on the topic of reading. And she said something that's really stuck with me since then. She told me that she reads to experience things that she wouldn't otherwise.

Nobody can experience everything during one lifetime, that's impossible. But yes, through reading you get to experience so much more. Through reading I've experienced likely things. Like your first love, loosing someone you care about, having a bad relationship with your parents. And I've also experienced some pretty unlikely things. Like zombie apocalypses, getting sent into outer space, fighting with big and horrible monsters.

Some of that stuff I'll never experience in real life, thank god. But I'll experience those things from the comfort of my own bed. Then some things, I will experience in real life. And then I'll be somewhat prepared for it by the experiences I've had in the worlds that authors create for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment