Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Specials (Uglies #3) - Review

Specials (Uglies #3)
by Scott Westerfeld
Rating: 4,5/5 stars

This review might include spoilers if you haven't read the first books, Uglies and Pretties. Read at your own risk!

Tally thought they were a rumor, but now she's one of them. A Special. A super-amped fighting machine, engineered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid.


But maybe being perfectly programmed with strength and focus isn't better than anything she's ever known. Tally still has memories of something else.


But it's easy for her to tune that out - until she's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the new smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice: listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat, or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.


Review:


Tally's a special. She's a part of her best friend Shay's group, the cutters.  Their mission is to find the new Smoke and bring it down. I love the plot in Specials more than I did in Uglies and Pretties. Especially the last part of the book. But I can't tell you about it! Frustrating!

When I started reading Specials I was scared that I wouldn't like it. I had read lots of negative reviews on it and I was kind of disappointed by Pretties. I wanted to love Specials as much as I had loved Uglies. And gosh, I did. It was amazing! But the problem is that all the wonderful, lovely bits I love, happens in the last parts of the books. Or in the beginning, but still are huge spoilers. So I can't just ramble about all the parts I loved, cause then you guys would get angry at me for spoiling the book for you!

But I do think that this book would have been a good ending for the series. So I really don't understand why Scott Westerfeld wrote Extras. And I read that it's about some other girl, not Tally. Not that I'm complaining, I love that there's another book! I will be hard to leave the Uglies world, I love it! (Not all the brain lesion thingies, but god the technology!) How cool wouldn't it be with interface rings, bungee jackets, hover boards ..? Give me please!

When I got into the story and passed my awful non-reading days, it was a really quick read. I like the author's writing. It's very fast paced and suits the story well. Unfortunately I sometimes had to reread a page in the big action scenes, just to keep up with what was happening. But I can live with that in a book this good.

If you already haven't read the Uglies series, do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment