Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Jonas - Review

Jonas (Beautiful Dead #1)
by Eden Maguire                                                                                                
My rating: 1/5 


Something strange is happening in Ellerton High. Pheonix is the fourth teenager to die within a year. His street fight stabbing follows the death of Jonas, Summer and Arizona in equally strange and sudden circumstances.

Rumors of ghosts and strange happenings rip through the small community as it comes to terms with shoch and loss. Darina, Pheonix's grief-stricken girlfriend, in on the verge. She can't escape her intense heartache, or the impossible apparitions of those who are meant to be dead. And all the while the sound of beating wings echo inside her head! And then one day Pheonix appears to Darina.

Ecstatic to be reunited, he tells her about the Beautiful Dead. Souls limbo, they have been chosen to return to the world to set right a wrong linked to their death and bring about justice. Beautiful, superhuman and powerful, they are marked by a "death mark" - a small tattoo of angel's wings. Pheonix tells her that the sound of invisible wings beating are the millions of souls in limbo, desperate to return to earth. Darina's mission is clear: she must help Jonas, Summer, Arizona, and impossibly, her beloved Pheonix, right the wrong likned to their deaths to set them free from limbo so that they can finally rest in peace. Will love conquer death? And if it does, can Darina set free?

It was the plot (and the cover, to be honest) that made me pick up this book. I was hoping for an epic story of love, angels and horror. But unfortunately, I didn't get that. I really love the idea for this series, and it could have been really good! But it wasn't.

All the characters were boring. Flat. It feels like the author was like "Okay, so I've got this good idea. But damn it, I can't write a book without characters!" The were all kind of predictable and without any personalities. If I had to describe them, everyone would get the same description! They were all the same.

The writing was not of my taste either. It was too choppy and short. Like; she did that, and then that and then that. Not much variation or "playing with words".

I don't like giving books bad ratings, because I know that somewhere there is an author who has worked her but off to write it. But you can't love every book and this one just didn't suit my taste. Maybe someone else will like it, but I don't. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment