Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Gone - Review


Gone (Gone #1)
by Michael Grant
Rating: 4.5/5

299 Hours 54 Minutes

Suddenly it's a world without adults and normal has crashed and burned. When life as you know it ends at 15, everything changes.

A small town in California: In the blink of an eye everyone over the age of 15 disappears. Cut off from the outside world, those that are left are trapped, and there's no help on the way. Chaos rules the streets.

Now a new world is rising and, even scarier, some survivors have powers - mutant powers thet no one has ever seen ...


Review:

Every teenager from time to time wants to just ignore the adults, not having to go to school, getting to be out how late they want and being able to live without any rules. And the kids in Gone got all that. But it turned out to be a lot different than they expected.

I liked the main characters, Sam, Quinn and Astrid. Though I couldn’t stop thinking how similar they were to the Harry Potter trio. Sam, a hero and a good leader. But he doesn’t really want all the power. Quinn, the (sometimes) jealous best friend. Astrid, the brain of the group. I got really attached to Astrid. She was smart, funny and took good care of her autistic brother. She was a strong character.

I love how they speculated about why all this had happened to them. I made up lots of theories myself and just wanted to jump into the book and be a part of their discussions.

The book got slightly slower in the middle. Really nothing happened and everybody just walked around chasing each other. But maybe I just thought that the middle was a bit slower because of the epic beginning. I loved it! I got sucked into the story from the very first page and couldn’t put it down in a long time! Every book should have beginnings like this!

But the reason I give Gone four stars instead of five is because it didn’t bring me so strong feelings. I didn’t cry, laugh or start hating any of the characters. I think that’s because the main characters didn’t feel so much either. I didn’t get to hear how sorry they were because of that a person died, or how happy they were about something that had happened.

But I definitely think everybody should read this. I love the plot, the characters and the writing. It was really, really good and I just wanted to read and read to find out what would happen next. I liked it a lot and I am lucky to have the sequel, Hunger, waiting in my bookshelf. 

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book too. just not as much as Hunger or Lies. You bring up some interesting points I didn't notice before.

    ReplyDelete