Saturday, August 13, 2011

Croatia in pictures

As you might know, I spent two weeks in Croatia a while ago. I tried to put my experiences and what I thought about the country into words, but didn't succeed. So I decided to let you guys see some of the few pictures that I took there. 

Even though Croatia is a beautiful country, I unfortunately didn't photograph that much. Which is very unusual being me. But I'll work with what I've got.



We stayed in a small town called Vodice. It's at the southwest coast of Croatia, and we only had a few hundred meters to walk from out house to the beach. Which would be awesome if I actually enjoyed swimming, but still. This is a picture of what we saw from our house. I know that the picture isn't that good, but bare with me.


One of the first places we visited, except for the town we lived in, was an island called Trogir. This is not the island, but the city you had to leave your car in to then walk over a bridge to come to the island. I managed to get a part of Trogir into the picture, look at the upper right corner. This is the best you get when you try to take pictures from the back of a car ..


This is what you saw everywhere. Clear water, palms and beautiful houses.


More palms!


The city you had to visit in order to get to Trogir. To the left you can see a part of one of the bridges that connected the island to the city.


A part of Vodice.


One day we made a four hour trip to get to the city Dubrovnik. This is the gate that leads into the old Dubrovnik, which is pretty small and has a tall wall surrounding it. The newer parts of Dubrovnik is built around this "old city".


 Here you see the wall that surrounds the "old city" and some of the new houses in the background.


Since Croatia was in war about ten years ago, you could see bullet holes and destroyed houses everywhere. It was really sad to drive through abandoned towns with completely ruined houses everywhere. 




This amazing waterfall is somewhere near Vodice. It's very long and you can't see the whole thing at once. Instead you have to climb up a high mountain to be able to see more parts of it. The waterfall was amazing, but climbing up a mountain in 40 celcius degrees heat when you have a fever, is nothing I can recommend.




This is a book blog, so let's wrap this up with some Cratian editions of english books.

2 comments:

  1. That's so great that you got photos of the books with their Croatian titles! I was in Dubrovnik about 20 years ago when it was still in Yugoslavia and loved it there. What a great town, very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, especially the waterfalls! One of my closest friends has been to Croatia because she has a friend who lives there, so it was nice to get an idea of where my friend has been. And of course, I love the pictures of the books! :)

    ReplyDelete