Tuesday, April 19, 2011

No Time For Reading? - Bookish Thoughts

I have some friends who doesn't read at all. I find it hard to believe that those people doesn't enjoy reading. (Because I don't think there are people who doesn't like books. Books are like movies, everyone likes them, you just have to find the right ones for you.) When I ask them why they don't read, (most of them) say that it's because they don't have enough time to read. I think that's bullshit.

Okay, so maybe you don't want to take several hours of your afternoon and spend it on reading. I understand that. But you can find time for reading without giving up time you would've done something else on. You just have to find those minutes of the day that you're not doing anything.

For example, what do you do when you sit on the bus or the subway on your way to and from school? That's (depending on how long it takes you to get to school) lots of great minutes that can be spent on reading. What are you doing while you're waiting for your friends to arrive at the mall or wherever you've decided to meet? Again, great reading time. What are you doing on boring lessons in school? Probably talking with your friends or something, but if you read, your teacher won't notice that you're not paying attention. What are you doing when you're waiting in the doctor's office? When there's commercial breaks on tv? When you wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep? While you're in the bathroom (you know, why not?). All of those, great reading possibilities.

It's all about finding those little moments in which you're not really doing anything. Carry a book with you all the time and pick it up when you can. Finding ten of those minutes six times a day isn't hard. And if you do it, you read an hour a day! So don't come and say to me that you don't have any time for reading. Because I know you have.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you love reading so much that you can't imagine that there is anyone out there doesn't love to read as well.

    It's true, though. There are lots of little times in the day where we are waiting for things. I try to read then also.

    Cute monkey. :)

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always carry my book in my purse! It's one item I can't leave withou =D

    BTW I LOVE your banner!

    Happy Easter <3
    T
    Tynga's Reviews

    ReplyDelete